11.8.11

Guest Blogeuse: Seductively French - Kirsty Mitchell Photography, Still Wallowing in a Wonderland

 
There is one piece of advise I hear every single time I ask the question, “what is your secret to success?” The answer each person in his or her own way explains is always to follow your passion. Apparently, the basis of the drive to succeed is that passion that pushes you towards it. It is that feeling that you cannot stop until you have achieved it for yourself. 
This is what I see in UK based photographer Kirsty Mitchell, with whom I had the pleasure to become acquainted with recently and wanted to share with others her auspicious story. Clearly seated in the driver side racing down the path of success, Mitchell labors tirelessly over the artistic projects and creations from the heart that have casted her off beaming into the stars of success. 

I don’t want to sound melodramatic, however viewing the photos take you to another world. My favorite collection as an example of this, still two years in the making, is Wonderland
Mitchell explains, “I wanted to convey the fact that this would be a place where anything could happen…the notion of a girl’s escapism through stories.” Well executed, Wonderland is a fantasy with elaborate costumes and expressive colors. A favorite of Mitchell’s, she tells me of this series, “it has been an enormous labour of love and I am trying my hardest to make the final images the very best I can.”

Mitchell goes to great lengths to achieve the look and scene she envisions for each photo, scouting out the perfect local. Some scenes required a twelve-month wait to capture the blooming seasonal flowers that are then around only for a two-week period. The characters are created, but the natural scenery they are set in are all real. 
Mitchell explains that although her characters are make-believe, the locations are not. The strong use of color in the Wonderland series was one of the most important factors as Mitchell states, “it can transport our mood and emotions to a better place and this was my intension.”


Mitchell has climbed that ladder of success from the ground up with no formal photographic training and no budget to begin with. Working full time as a fashion designer, Mitchell started the Wonderland series literally out of scraps. “We made things out of old bits of wire, stolen flowers from parks, and anything we could find. Some of the dresses the models wear are just fabric I pinned around them on the location!” Mitchell is now obviously able to devote all into the extravagant costume designs entirely hand made by Mitchell herself.

What’s next for Mitchell after the completion of Wonderland series for her exhibition and book ends up being something we cannot disclose publicly yet. “Its hard to say right now as there are some very exciting things slowly happening which could lead my work into a whole new world I’d never really imagined before now. I can’t comment on who or what the project is yet, but I’m honored to have been approached by these people.” 
This all seems to have become a butterfly effect for Mitchell who continues to be induced by passion. “I’m extremely interested in film and music too as they hold great emotional relevance to me and how I work. The idea of layering this with the visuals I produce really excites me. So I guess its just how everything develops. I’m meeting more and more interesting creative people every day who are inspiring me in so many ways – I feel like this has opened a door to the world I’ve always wanted to be a part of.”


Mitchell’s wish list of people with whom she desires to collaborate with she describes as pretty much endless, however include Tim Burton, Cirque Du Soleil (already linked with), and Alexander McQueen. Interestingly, Mitchell had interned with the late Alexander McQueen during her studies in fashion design in London and still remains an influence in her photography.

Lovely is she, Kirsty Mitchell, photographer extraordinaire. Her work takes my breath away, as does her path to her accomplishments. “Determination is key,” Mitchell advises. “Don’t give up. Don’t compare yourself to others and try to find your own identity and passion. If you can visualize it, you will get there, somehow.  Just push your boundaries and never give up.”

Guest Blogeuse: Seductively French, author Slavica Monczka

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...