3.5.12

A Day in Paris With Composer Eric Serra


Photo Courtesy of Eric Serra

Music mogul Eric Serra has a wealth of experience from composing his own music for his band RXRA to being the founder of the EuroVoice competition to, what he is most commonly known for, his long list of music scores for blockbuster films. From his studio in his home inParis
, I spent a day with Eric Serra curious about his beginning that led him down this path of success, and where it will taking him next! 


The Fifth Element(1997), The Professional (1994), andLa Femme Nikita (1990), Serra has composed music for all but one of Besson’s films in his entire history as film director. Further impressive is that young Serra at that time did not consider himself a composer, explaining to Besson, as if almost not accepting the job, "well, I’m not a composer, I am just a musician." Luckily, Besson was so impressed with Serra that he encouraged him to give it a try, leading to this marriage made in heaven where the two have collaborated their film and music for well over two decades now. 

"Luc knows exactly what role he wants the music to play in the movie, for each scene. And that is probably why we work well together, because he talks about emotions. The way I work with music, even the way I listen to music, to me is emotional," explains Serra of composing for director Besson. "That is my only concept of music. When I compose I am just expressing emotions." 


Believe by Criss Angel and Cirque Du Soleil on stage at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas. The Cirque illustrates how "Serra takes the listener on a thrilling, dreamlike exploration beginning with sounds of vintage children-inspired melodies to rock and gothic moments with heavy, industrial, electronic beats to classical and operatic influences." 

Serra has composed music for a variety of movie genre, such as action/adventure 
Golden Eye (1995) of the James Bond mega hit film series, or animations Arthur 3 and Tarzan
 where he had the opportunity to work with the legendary Phil Collins. "I’m good friends with Peter Gabriel, and so it was nice to meet the other Genesis," jokingly stating since he knows the two "now I know all the secrets of the original Genesis." 

We sit in front of his monstrous digital recording soundboard and discuss how he has come a long way in his career, yet Serra is humble when reminiscing with me his fascination with music as a child. Serra is not sure when it all began for him as he does not have much memory before age seven, when his mother unexpectedly died. 



Assia Ahhatt. Serra will also be starting to work on his new album for RXRA this year as well.  Need more Serra? Visit EricSerra.com and EuroVoice.tv. For a show you have to see to Believe, go to Criss Angel Believe at Luxor in Las Vegas. 

RXRA You make my mind wonder, go astray In a trance, I fade away For Serra’s music, I am the prey 
By Slavica Monczka

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...